The KTCpr Team
Richard S. Kahn
Richard S. Kahn is president of KTCpr, an 18-year old marketing, public relations and publishing consulting company – but, he is more than just the president of the agency. An industry veteran, an advisor and consultant to many companies as well as other travel industry executives, Richard also is a publishing consultant, and a sought-after speaker at industry conferences and events.
Recent speaking engagements include:
- International Hotel & Restaurant Show in New York on “Marketing in a Recovery Economy”
- Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International on the use of public relations to support sales
- Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Association annual conference on expanding resort marketing in the online universe
- American Resort Development Association annual conference on the development of mixed-use resorts as well as a seminar on public relations
- Caribbean Tourism & Hotel Industry Investment Conference on the benefits of timesharing in the Caribbean
- Vacation Ownership Investment Conference on what developers need to know before proceeding to fund projects as well as panels on the Caribbean and Mexican marketplace
- Cornell, New York Tech and the Academy for Travel & Tourism courses on “How to do Public Relations” and “Getting over the Fear of Public Speaking”
Founder and president of KTCpr, Richard formed the company following his departure as Editor and Associate Publisher of Travel Agent Magazine, a position he held for 15 years. His early clients included several newspapers and consumer and trade publications including The New York Times, Newark Star-Ledger, Recommend Magazine, Travel Holiday, U.S. News & World Report and USA Today. In 1989, he also worked as a consultant to Diana Orban Associates in the development of a nationwide media blitz for the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) and for several other public relations and advertising firms who hired him to help them expand their reach into the travel arena.
In the past 18 years, KTCpr has grown from a small consulting firm to a full-time staff of 10 with a list of more than 15 clients.
Prior to joining Travel Agent Magazine, Kahn was an editor at the prestigious Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine. He began his journalism career in daily newspapers and radio news both in Kentucky. He continued his radio career in New York City with a series of “Travel Talk” shows on several major media stations.
Richard is considered one of the travel industry’s top consultants and lecturers. Here’s a brief look at Kahn’s past:
- 15 years as Editor and Associate Publisher of Travel Agent Magazine where he traveled around the world for one of the leading industry publications.
- Five years as Transportation Editor for Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine.
- 25 years as a travel industry writer, past president of the New York Travel Writers Association and vice chairman of the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW).
- Past President of the Board of Directors for the Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International (HSMAI) “Big Apple” Chapter where he was also editor of “Roomers,” the Chapter newsletter for eight years.
- General Conference Chairman for the HSMAI Sales & Marketing Summit 2000, held in New York in July 2000.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Caribbean Hotel Association for the last 23 years where he developed educational programs and seminars for the membership including the annual Allied Breakfast, which served as a entertaining and informative forum for Caribbean hoteliers.
- Chairman of the American Resort Development Association’s Caribbean Committee for the past 12 years and member of the Publications Review and Communications Committees as well as a contributing editor to the association’s monthly magazine.
- Member of the Board of Trustees for the Caribbean Hospitality Training Institute for the last 25 years where he also does seminars on marketing to hoteliers.
- Past Chairman (twice) of the Pacific Asia Travel Association New York Chapter, member of the International Marketing Committee and current NY Chapter Board Member and Publicity Chairman.
- President of SKAL International Long Island, the international fraternity of travel industry executives in which charity and support of others in the industry is the focus.
- Radio talk show host for travel shows on WMCA, WOR, WABC and WEVD – all major New York Metropolitan area talk radio stations.